OnePlus was made available on Monday globally. The device comes with some salty changes over the OnePlus 6 device. It sports the company’s first in-display fingerprint sensor which is fast all over the world. The OnePlus devices are always supported by the developer community. Because the company is also supporting the community by making their kernel source available quickly on Github.
The OnePlus 6T kernel source made available just after the one day of official device release. And I guess the developers have already started working on developing their custom ROMs and it will be available within a couple of days. So, here’s a complete guide on how to unlock Bootloader of the OnePlus 6T device.
Before you begin the process you must have to follow some necessary steps to avoid accidents.
- The bootloader unlocking process might erase all of your data. So, take a full backup of your device. Just in case if you don’t want to know how to take backup or upload files on your mi cloud, simply move all files to your computer. That also works.
- Make sure your device has a minimum charge of 20%.
- Remember the device PIN or Password which you use to unlock your device.
Let’s Unlock Bootloader
Turn on OEM Unlocking
- First things first, you need to enable the developer options. To do that Go to Device Settings -> About Phone -> Tap 7 times rapidly on Build Number until you get the message on screen says ‘You are now Developer!’
- Now, Go to Settings -> Additional Settings -> Developer Options.
- Once you are in Developer Options settings all you have to do is enable the ‘OEM Unlocking‘ toggle as shown in the image below. You will get a pop-up. Tap on Enable button.
- First, install ADB on your computer. If you have already installed then you can skip this step. If not I have attached a complete guide below from the XDA Developers website.
- Now, once you have set up the ADB in your Windows computer, you have to type the following command to reboot your OnePlus 6T into the Bootloader.
fastboot oem unlock
Also, there are some alternative methods that you can use. You can hold the volume down and power button to reboot into bootloader.
- Download TWRP
The OnePlus 6T device uses an A/B partition system. So, the process of installing the custom recovery is a little bit complicated for B devices compared to the A devices. However, if you don’t know about this then click here to read more about A/B devices. As of now, there is blu_spark TWRP is available for OnePlus 6T. If you have the latest or you are able to find out one, then you can flash it. In this tutorial, I am explaining how you can flash blu_spark TWRP. Don’t worry the process is the same for any TWRP recovery you are going to flash.
- Flash TWRP
Type the following command while your device is in its bootloader to flash the TWRP;
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.img
Once your device boots up, Go to Advanced, ADB Sideload and type following;
adb sideload twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.zip
Now, reboot to recovery.
NOTE: If you are flashing another TWRP than in upper mentioned commands, you will have to replace ‘twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86.img’ with your downloaded twrp name.
- That’s it. You have successfully installed TWRP recovery on your device.
If you want to root your Android device, then you can also download the Magisk ZIP from the link attached below and flash it through TWRP recovery.