Whenever you are going to play with your smartphone like installing a new custom ROM or rooting or any other stuff like that, it is a really unavoidable step to take a full backup of your device. So, that if the process gets messed up, you can restore that backup and get your device again in pre-installation state.
Now, you are here to learn how to take and restore the backup. That means you probably have read our guide to unlock bootloader and install TWRP on the device. Because this task can be performed after that. So, let’s first move on how to take a full backup.
Take Backup Using TWRP
To take a full backup of your device in order to restore it later, you will be required to boot into TWRP recovery. To do so, first, turn off your device. Once turned off, you will need to press power key and volume up key until your phone vibrates. It will boot into TWRP.
- Tap on ‘Backup’.
- On the next screen, there should all three options selected out of four: Boot, Recovery, System, and Data.
- Simply swipe the button to the right and let the backup process start.
- It usually takes 10-15 minutes depending upon your backup data.
- Once done, you can transfer the backup to your computer.
Just in case if you get an error message like no space. So, you will have to restart your device and delete files which are not necessary to include in backup like app data, etc.
Transfer Backup to Your Computer
- Connect your device with the computer using a data cable.
- Your device should automatically appear in your computer’s ‘This PC’.
- Open your device internal storage and go into ‘TWRP’ folder.
- Copy ‘Backup’ folder and paste it somewhere on your computer.
Restore Backup Using TWRP
Now, its time to learn how you can restore that backup if you messed up everything. Its pretty simple.
- Transfer the backup from computer to your device.
- Now, go to TWRP main menu and tap on ‘Restore’.
- On the next screen, you will see that backup file. If you see a folder then simply tap on it until you get the last screen.
- On the next screen don’t forget to select Boot, System, Recovery, and Data. Because we want to restore everything.
- Swipe toggle to start the process.
Once done, you can restart your device.