Android 10 will pack a bundle of new features and some of you, especially people who love custom ROMs, would have got hands-on the beta based ROM. New exciting features are on its way but one of the exciting ones is ‘Pixel Themes’. It will allow the user to change fonts, colors, and icons. We won’t see an official build until the Google Pixel 4 release, however, in this post I will show you how you can make it fully operational on your Android handset.
Note: Okay, before we dive into the instructions, I would like to make it clear that ‘Pixel Themes’ will only work on Pixel handsets or the devices having custom ROMs based on latest Android 10. I made it work on my Redmi Note 7 Pro running on Pixel Experience-based Android 10 custom ROM.
Presumably, Google will eventually release Pixel Themes exclusively for Pixel handsets. But, one will be able to use it by sideloading apps in Android 10 device. To quickly recap, ‘Pixel Themes’ is an app that allows users to customize stock Android to remove the boredom of one skin. There are new fonts, icon shapes, and accent colors.
How to Use Google’s New Pixel Themes
First and foremost, I am assuming that you have Pixel handset or device having custom ROM based Android 10.
01. Download Google Wallpapers app from Play Store.
02. Download and Install Google’s new Styles and Wallpapers APK. This application will simply update Google Wallpapers app installed on your device and give it Material Theme and dark mode support.
04. At this point, you can access Pixel Themes by long pressing on home screen > Styles & wallpapers. Although, when you try to switch to ‘Style’ through bottom navigations, it will crash. That means yet you have to make it fully functional.
05. Themes cannot be applied until you run an ADB command. So, open up your computer and run the following ADB command.
adb shell pm grant com.google.android.apps.wallpaper android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
For people who don’t know about ADB command;
- Get the ADB Platform tools.
- Connect your phone to computer.
- Enable USB debugging in developer options on the phone.
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where you extracted the ADB tools.
- Give command – adb devices
- If you are giving a command for the first time, you will see a prompt on your device screen. Tap on ‘accept’.
- Once your device recognized, you can give the above-mentioned command.
06. Done! Now, you can go to ‘Styles’ and customize your stock Android.
How to Revert Back to Normal
To revert back, give the following command through ADB.
adb shell pm revoke com.google.android.apps.wallpaper android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
Let me know if you are facing any issues. I will reply to you in the comment box below.